Last updated 25 February 2022
Following the lifting of most Government COVID-19 restrictions relating to grassroots sports in England, Wales and Scotland, advice on playing baseball and softball outdoors and indoors has shifted to providing recommended guidance only, with National Governing Bodies responsible for determining the most suitable approach.
The following is therefore offered as guidance only, unless otherwise stated, to activity providers, organisers, officials and players as practices to continue or adapt, as you wish, and is provided by BaseballSoftballUK (BSUK) on behalf of the British Baseball Federation (BBF), Baseball Scotland and the British Softball Federation (BSF).
Baseball and softball remain low risk, non-contact sports, especially when played outdoors, and as such protocols around playing the sport have never needed to include modifications to the game on the field of play.
1. Support NHS contact tracing by:
- Keeping a Participant Attendance Register on the day of activity.
- Completing a Participant Opt-in Form prior to attending activity.*
- Completing COVID check-in on the day of activity, see example.*
- Having a nominated COVID-19 Officer*
2. Maintain basic hygiene precautions to minimise fomite (contact) transmission by:
- Disinfecting all personal and team equipment and hands before and after activity with hand sanitiser and anti-bacterial wipes.
- Ensuring you have a First Aid COVID kit.
*Mandatory in Scotland only with measures expected to be lifted shortly.
England: Sport England Coronavirus hub and FAQs
Scotland: sportScotland Coronavirus hub
Wales: Sport Wales Coronavirus hub
Government policies on COVID-19 remain subject to change at short notice, especially should a new variant of the disease appear. Therefore, please keep yourselves updated through regular trusted channels and remember that local and national Government guidance supersedes advice provided by BSUK and the Federations.
Return to Play Framework
- BaseballSoftballUK's comprehensive Return to Play Plan, for information only - DOWNLOAD HERE
- Participant Attendance Form: DOWNLOAD HERE
Gov.UK - UK Government Coronavirus Guidance and Support
Gov.Scot - Coronavirus in Scotland
Welsh Government - Coronavirus guidance
NHS England - NHS Coronavirus Information
World Baseball Softball Confederation - COVID-19 Prevention Guidelines