Inaugural BUCS Baseball & Softball National Championships - By the Numbers
1 April 2022
Photo: Jody Demay-Davies
The inaugural British University and College Sport (BUCS) Softball and Baseball Championships took place in March 2022, the culmination of years of work by both BUCS and BaseballSoftballUK to elevate the two sports!
The Inaugural National Softball Championships took place on 19-20 March, a cold but fantastic weekend of play, while the weather improved for the Inaugural National Baseball Championship the next weekend, 26-27 March. While the competition was fierce across both competitions, Loughborough University pulled off the double in the Inaugural year, winning both Championships!
Photo: Chris Knoblock
Here are some of the top news, notes, and numbers from the competition:
- 9 - number of hours travelled by Stirling University Baseball Club, showing quite the dedication to make the trip!
- [REDACTED] pints and pitchers of [REDACTED] consumed at Home Plate Bar & Kitchen
- 12-9 and 7-4 - the winning scores from the softball and baseball championships, won by....
- 2 - Championships for Loughborough across the two weekends
- 3 - Third place finishes for University of York (Softball) and University of Nottingham (Baseball)
- 2 - Second Place finishes for University of Nottingham (Softball) and UEA Blue Sox (Baseball)
- 26 - number of teams that played at Farnham Park National Baseball & Softball Complex across the weekend - 10 for baseball, 16 for softball
- 1st - this year's competition is just the first of many BUCS National Baseball & Softball Finals!
Here are some of our favourite shots of the weekend - please credit them if you download and share them!
Reflecting on the two weekends of competition, Head of Development Chris Rawlings remarked, "This was the culmination of many years of advocacy and hard work to see the sports of baseball and softball added to the BUCS Sports Competitions programme. It is a key link in the development of baseball and softball in this country – helping to bridge the school and community game and helping us raise both the profile and standards of play. The respective finals were a credit to all involved and were a privilege to organise and attend. Several teams and students were playing at Farnham Park for the first time - many commented what a great experience they had and were looking forward to continuing their involvement at their university and beyond."
The BUCS Softball and Baseball National Championships will return to Farnham Park National Baseball & Softball Complex in March 2023!