Activators Wanted for T-Rex T-Ball - Register Now!
6 March 2023
BaseballSoftballUK’s Performance Team are excited to announce that a new Activator Course in partnership with T-Rex T-Ball will be piloted at the University of Greenwich on Saturday, 25th March.
T-Rex T-Ball is a Dinosaur-themed kids’ baseball programme based in southeast London, started in 2021. The sessions blend dinosaurs with a games-based approach to baseball which has attracted parents and kids with no baseball connections as well as fans of the sport. The sessions are for girls and boys aged 4-9 and focus on developing the skills of hitting, catching, throwing and roaring like a dinosaur!
The T-Rex T-Ball Activator course will consist of one 3-hour face-to-face coaching session plus two bitesize e-learning modules. It is a great place to start for parents and coaches who are new to T-Rex T-Ball or baseball, plus existing clubs who are interested in running T-Rex T-Ball sessions.
The course has been developed by Will Lintern, a coach and former player with Great Britain Baseball and the Director of Development and Dinosaur Experience at T-Rex T-Ball. The primary role of a T-Rex T-Ball Activator is to facilitate gameplay and coordinate activities with parents and other volunteers. Prior baseball experience is helpful but by no means essential.
Will Lintern had this to say about the T-Rex T-Ball, “Kids love dinosaurs, and kids love baseball once they have been given the chance to try the sport. We have found that the blend of dinosaurs and baseball has been a great way to recruit new players to the game of baseball, and now we are at a place where we need to recruit and train more coaches.
"Our aim is to provide young children with an amazing introduction to the sport of baseball, drawing from evidence-based research to maximise long-term athlete development and skill acquisition. We hope to ignite a passion for sport and baseball in the hearts and minds of young kids across the country!”
- 1:00 - 4:00 PM
- University of Greenwich, Avery Hill Campus, SE9 2UG
- After the pilot, additional courses will be announced in the future.
- This course has been designed to give learners the knowledge, skills and confidence to support and run T-Rex T-Ball sessions.
- A T-Rex T-Ball Activator will be certified to lead sessions and activities independently or as part of a group.
- Support fun, safe and inclusive T-Rex T-Ball sessions
- Use of dinosaur-themed baseball practices to develop the skills of hitting, catching, throwing and athletic development
- Use space, task, equipment and people (STEP) framework to plan and deliver fun activities that meet players’ needs
- Understand the role and responsibility of a T-Rex T-Ball Activator in safeguarding children and young people
WHO IS IT FOR
- Anyone aged 16 or over who wants to inspire children aged four to nine to play baseball.
- One face-to-face module lasting three hours
- Two bite-size e-learning modules lasting 10-15 minutes each
- Multiple choice question assessment
PRE-REQUISITES FOR CERTIFICATION
- Must be aged 16 or over at the time of attending the course
- Enhanced DBS Check (will be provided as part of the course)
- Valid safeguarding training
- Knowledge of dinosaurs is helpful but not essential 😉