Fantasy Baseball UK returns for 2016 season – bigger and better!
Mon 14 Mar 2016
Fantasy Baseball UK, the free-to-play online fantasy baseball game, is back for 2016 with added features and improvements. Following feedback from players in the off-season, two new side games will be added to the main game plus there will be several tweaks to the MLB player information and points-scoring system.
Rosters will open on 27 March for managers to start building their team ahead of Major League Baseball’s Opening Day on Sunday 3 April (although managers can join after date that as well). You can login now to create your team name and choose the games you want to enter. Head on over to fantasybaseballuk.com for more details on the changes and to login.
Originally launched in 2004 in association with BaseballSoftballUK and MLB on Five (Channel Five’s televised baseball coverage), Fantasy Baseball UK (FBUK) continues as an independently run online league with a passionate core fan base. Championed by Jonny Gould, the fantasy league was an oft-discussed feature in between innings during MLB on Five game broadcasts, right up until the show stopped airing in 2008, and Jonny remains a supporter of the league, writing a welcome message to managers to usher in each new season.
At the end of this season, the winners of each of the three fantasy league games will be awarded a customised ‘FBUK Champion’ baseball bat engraved with their name. There will also be small prizes for divisional winners and for the best monthly fantasy performance.
Features of the game
- An independent, online fantasy league originally devised for UK MLB fans – but open to all!
- Free to play
- Build and manage your roster of Major League Baseball players and amass points based on their stats through the season – but you must stick within the weekly salary cap!
- Compete against other managers in one of 30 divisions named after MLB franchises. Come out on top of all managers to be crowned FBUK Champion!
- Join the FBUK Forums to chat fantasy baseball and MLB in general
- New for 2016! The $5m Game will now be open to all managers - Pick a team of the best low-cost players to keep your team salary below $5m. How good are you without star names in your team?
- New for 2016! The Limited Trade Game has no bench and permits just three trades per month (unlike the main game, which allows unlimited Sunday trades and daily bench swaps). With limited flexibility, your roster decisions are even more important, but it is also great for those fantasy players who don't want to make constant changes to their line-up.
- New for 2016! The winners of each division in the main game will also receive a special prize, as well as the overall champions of the main game, $5m Game and Limited Trade Game. There will also be a small prize for the best monthly fantasy performance.
So step up to the plate and play the best fantasy baseball game this side of the Atlantic!
Jonny Gould (left) and Josh Chetwynd in the MLB on Five studio.