British Baseball Federation Seeks Directors for BSUK Board
Fri 16 Dec 2011
BaseballSoftballUK (BSUK) is a joint venture between the British Baseball Federation (BBF) and the British Softball Federation (BSF) established to promote the development of softball and baseball in the UK. The Board is comprised of three nominees from each national governing body and six jointly appointed Independent Directors (including the Chair).
Currently the BBF have only one representative Director on the Board and have taken the decision to advertise for candidates from the baseball community to fill the remaining places. These are voluntary positions with the remit to help form and influence the strategic direction of the organisation in the 2009 – 2013 funding cycle and beyond. Successful candidates would not be required to sit on the BBF Board, but would be a liaison between the BSUK Board and the BBF Board. While not yet formally addressed in the constitution, it is likely that these would be three-year positions, with a maximum of two terms.
As a growing sports development business with a need to generate increased commercial income to supplement grant funding, the BBF are seeking to appoint directors with experience in one or more of the following areas :
- Campaigning, lobbying and political influence
- Commercial and income generation
- Safeguarding children and vulnerable adults
- Equality and diversity
- Human Resources
- Facilities and project management
- Strategic planning
The key duties and tasks will be to:
- Carry out duties in the best interests of the Board
- Attend Board meetings, including sub-committee or working group meetings where relevant
- Act as an advocate of the BBF and BSUK to voluntary and professional elements of sport
- Ensure sound governance through personal and collective actions
The key competencies are:
- A high level of objectivity and independent judgement
- A high level of integrity and probity
- Ability to think and act strategically
- An understanding of finance management
- An ability to work in partnership
- A commitment to equity and equal opportunities
- Ability to communicate concisely and effectively
- An enthusiasm for the sports of baseball and softball
Any person possessing the necessary and appropriate experience in the key competencies associated with being a director of the BSUK Board is eligible to apply for the position, provided they:
- Meet the requirements of a directorship under the Companies Act 1985
- Are not excluded for any reason from holding a directorship
- Do not possess a criminal record inappropriate for the position within the sports
- Have not previously been removed from the position of director within sport, or been dismissed from any other NGB or related body
How to apply:
To apply, please complete the BSUK Board Director Application Form, which is an online process.
Closing date for applications is 16 January 2012.
Following the closing date the BBF may invite suitable candidates for interview.