BaseballSoftballUK seeks Independent Board Directors
Fri 13 Jan 2017
BaseballSoftballUK (BSUK) is seeking up to three Independent Directors for its Board. These would be voluntary positions with the remit to help form and influence the strategic direction of the organisation in the 2017-21 funding cycle and beyond.
We would particularly encourage applications from women and ethnic minorities.
BaseballSoftballUK (BSUK) is the development agency for baseball and softball in the UK, set up as a joint venture of the British Baseball and Softball Federations, the National Governing Bodies (NGBs) of the sports. Our vision is for our sports to be “played in every park.” Our key areas of work are growing the number of adults and young people playing regularly in teams and improving the sporting experience for those people who participate in our sports.
BaseballSoftballUK is a company limited by guarantee. T he company has been incorporated since 2007. The BSUK Board is made up of three nominees from each of the NGBs and six jointly-appointed Independent Directors (including the Chair). BSUK’s Joint Chief Executive Officers attend Board Meetings as non-voting members.
The Board meets six times each year, with three of these dates on a Sunday and the rest on midweek evenings. The Board has four sub-committees that meet at least quarterly: the Finance Committee, the Governance Committee, the Development Strategy Committee and the Farnham Park Committee. Board Directors, particularly Independent Directors, are encouraged to join at least one subcommittee.
Independent Directors can serve up to three two-year terms. It is anticipated that the time commitment is one to two days per month after the induction period. This includes attendance at up to six Board meetings, and membership and participation in at least one of the Board Committees. Meetings are usually held at the BSUK Head Office in London, but arrangements can be made to join by phone.
Expenses will be paid in accordance with BSUK’s expense policy.
The duties of a Director are:
- To ensure that BSUK complies with its Articles of Association, the Members’ Agreement, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- To ensure that BSUK pursues its objects as defined in its Articles of Association.
- To ensure that BSUK applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects.
- To contribute actively to the role of Board in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets, and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the good name and values of BSUK.
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of BSUK.
- To ensure the financial stability of BSUK.
- To protect and manage the property of BSUK and to ensure the proper investment of its funds.
- To appoint the Chief Executive Officer(s) and monitor their performance.
In addition to the above statutory duties, each Director should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience he or she has to help the Board reach sound decisions. This may involve scrutinising board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives or on other issues in which the Director has special expertise.
- A high level of objectivity and independent judgement.
- A high level of integrity and probity.
- Ability to think and act strategically.
- An understanding of financial management.
- An ability to work in partnership.
- A commitment to equity and equal opportunities.
- Experience as Director of a company.
- Ability to communicate concisely and effectively.
- An enthusiasm for the sports of baseball and softball.
Skills and Experience
As a growing sports development business with a need to develop our external profile, BSUK has identified that skills and/or experience in one or more of the areas below would be helpful. However, we would be keen to hear from anyone interested in the role who has skills that would be valuable in a Board environment. Areas we are particularly interested in are:
- Sports marketing – developing BSUK’s external profile.
- National Governing Body CEO or similar.
- HR and personnel management.
- Facility development.
- Commercial/business development.
How to apply
Complete the on-line application form.
For an informal discussion of the post, please contact Jenny Fromer on 07766 758 529.
Closing date for applications is 10 March, 2017.