BaseballSoftballUK seeks Independent Board Directors
Fri 31 Aug 2012
BaseballSoftballUK is seeking Independent Directors for its Board. These would be voluntary positions with the remit to help form and influence the strategic direction of the organisation in the 2013-17 funding cycle and beyond. We would particularly encourage applications from women and ethnic minorities.
BaseballSoftballUK (BSUK) is the development agency for baseball and softball in the UK, set up as a joint venture of the British Baseball and Softball Federations, the National Governing Bodies (NGBs). Our vision is for our sports to be “played in every park.” Our key areas of work are growing the number of adults and young people playing regularly in teams and improving the sporting experience for those people who participate in our sports.
BaseballSoftballUK (BSUK) is a company limited by guarantee. The company has been incorporated since 2007. The BSUK Board is made up of three nominees from each of the NGBs and six jointly appointed Independent Directors (including the Chair). BSUK’s Joint-Chief Executive Officers attend Board Meetings as non-voting members.
The Board meets six times each year: three of these dates are on a Sunday, the rest on a midweek evening. The Board has three sub-committees that meet at least quarterly: the Finance Committee, the Governance Committee and the Development Strategy Committee. Board Directors, particularly Independent Directors, are encouraged to join at least one subcommittee.
Independent Directors can serve up to two three-year terms. It is anticipated that the time commitment is one to two days per month after the induction period. This includes attendance at up to six Board meetings and membership and participation in at least one of the Board Committees. Meetings are usually held at the BSUK Head Office in London, but arrangements can be made to join by phone.
Expenses will be paid in accordance with BSUK’s expenses policy.
The duties of a Director are:
- To ensure that BSUK complies with its Memorandum and Articles of Association, the Members’ Agreement, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- To ensure that BSUK pursues its objects as defined in its Memorandum and Articles of Association.
- To ensure that BSUK applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects.
- To contribute actively to the role of Board in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the good name and values of BSUK. To ensure the effective and efficient administration of BSUK. To ensure the financial stability of BSUK.
- To protect and manage the property of BSUK and to ensure the proper investment of its funds.
- To appoint the Chief Executive Officer(s) and monitor their performance.
- In addition to the above statutory duties, each Director should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board reach sound decisions. This may involve scrutinising board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives or on other issues in which the Director has special expertise.
- A high level of objectivity and independent judgement.
- A high level of integrity and probity.
- Ability to think and act strategically.
- An understanding of financial management.
- An ability to work in partnership.
- A commitment to equity and equal opportunities.
- Experience as Director of a company.
- Ability to communicate concisely and effectively.
- An enthusiasm for the sports of baseball and softball.
Skills and Experience
As a growing sports development business with a need to generate increased commercial income to supplement grant income, BSUK is seeking Directors with experience in one or more of the following:
- Generating commercial sponsorship and revenue streams.
- Commercial, large business background.
- Political influence.
- Media connections.
- Partnership building.
- Equality strategy.
How To Apply
Applicants can complete an online application form here.
For an informal discussion of the post, please contact Jenny Fromer on 020 7453 7056 or John Boyd on 020 7453 7035.
The closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday, 12 October 2012.