Sports Travel Insurance
Travelling baseball and softball teams (including Great Britain national teams) should ensure that they have adequate sports travel insurance in place when taking place in competition overseas. This is an additional cover that is not provided through the usual BBF and BSF public liability and personal accident policies.
Trip managers can choose to either organise group travel insurance for the whole team or ensure that team members obtain cover individually. The advantages of a group policy are that it ensures every team member is insured to the same level and it would allow for the whole team to travel back in the case of injuries or illnesses rather than only the individual concerned. It might also enable you to secure a reduced rate per person by buying in bulk.
If asking individuals to obtain their own cover, please make sure that they each understand the level that is required.
Key criteria to look for in a policy:
- Check that the policy covers taking part in baseball and softball in organised competition and tournaments; some insurers will only cover 'casual' play.
- Cover should include medical expenses as well as simply compensation for an injury. For example, an accident that occurs in the USA could result in expensive medical and repatriation bills.
- Compensation for the value of sports equipment if lost, stolen or damaged. Enhanced cover might include emergency hire of replacement equipment.
- If in doubt, ask the insurer to provide written confirmation of what is covered so that you can be sure it covers your specific needs before buying.
BSUK has identified two companies that provide suitable cover for baseball and softball teams (see links below). Others might be available so it might be worth shopping around but please ensure that they meet the criteria above.
PS Sports Quote
"Specific travel insurance for your sporting and activity holidays, PS Sports Travel insurance covers a wide range of sports and gives you peace of mind and protection, even while participating in your sport.
"Key features include:
• Personal belongings and and activity equipment up to £10,000
• Cancellation or curtailment of your trip up to £10,000
• £10 million medical expenses
• UK, European and worldwide options available."
For a quote, please visit the Perkins Slade website.
"Sports Travel insurance will provide cover for the whole time that you are on a trip away from home. It will cover you for any general travel issues, plus any issues related to the chosen sport(s). Policies can be Single trip or Annual multi-trip. There are three levels of cover available to choose from which allow you to select how much cover you require for cancellation, baggage, sports equipment, etc."
For a quote please click the link below: